Friday, March 1, 2013

Digging Dogs, Barking Dogs, A Stinky Dog, and Remembering a Dog

The dogs around here have been the topic of our conversation for the lat week or so.  First, last week on the only nice day we have had in months, we were playing outside, and as soon as the neighbor dogs heard us, they sat at the edge of heir fence and barked, and barked, and barked.

   Last summer our neighbors daughter came home from college with 2 pit bull mix puppies, and decided not to go back, so now there are 2 full grown pit bull mix dogs next door.

So back to my story, I was so irritated with the constant barking at me and the kids that I kicked the soccer ball right at them, and yelled at them to go away... It didn't even phase them!  Then, later that evening they were standing at the edge of the fence again just barking and now DIGGING and CHEWING the fence!  We stayed inside and just watched, but sure enough, those little monsters got out... Then they were in my yard, ran down my drive way, then down the street... did I try and stop them?? Sure didn't!  I was hoping that those darn dogs would have been hit by a car, but I didn't get that lucky because they came back and just sat on the front porch.  Them getting out was enough to freely the neighbors out though, and they built a solid fence... Haven't herd a peep out of them since! YAY!!  Just glad I was inside when they got out!
We will probably just keep our fence up for added protection!
Then yesterday, I let Lucy outside to go to the bathroom, and wasn't paying attention to her, and I usually don't because she can only get out of our yard in one spot and she doesn't really go over there...well she did yesterday and we found her in the abandoned lot next door.  She was gone for about an hour and must have been chasing some horses around or something because she rolled in their poop!  Yes, Lucy came home smelling like horse shit!  She is now banished to the garage until she gets a bath!  The relief that I felt for finding her quickly turned into disgust!  After I smelt her, I yelled at her " you want to run away and roll in horse poop?... FINE...RUN AWAY!!"  Wouldn't you just know that the minute I said that, she went and laid on the front porch?  I love to hate her!!



Then as the kicker, today Blake asked me where Heaven is... I told him to look up at the sky and at the clouds. He said that he didn't see it, and I said that you can't see it, but that is where the angels are, and that is how they look down on you.  He then asked me how we could get there to see Otto.  We have had this conversation several times, but I told him that when people or animals go to Heaven, they can't come back, and one day he will see Otto again, but not for a very long time.  He then said "Well I miss my best dog friend"  Tears welled up in my eyes as I was driving, and I tried not to look at him.  He said "Mama, I see you crying, is it because you miss him too?"  I just smiled and said that I missed him too, but its okay to miss him and remember him because that means that he was a good friend to you.  Otto passed away almost 2 years ago, and he still asks about him randomly.  It melts my heart that he misses him, and that he impacted him so greatly. He was truly man's best friend :)  


We sure miss the goofy boy!!


Well, this week has been all about dogs!  Good and bad :)  I wonder what next week will be like??

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Neighbors.

    It's going to be rough in the summer time when you guys are out in the backyard a lot, right?? If they pose a danger to your kids you can/should report them. That's scary! But hopefully that fence keeps them in...that or the girl moves out and goes back to school!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great picture of him in the pool, totally relaxed and happy, what a great way to remember him :)

    ReplyDelete