Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Recovered Memories

We are in the prepping stages for my grandpa's funeral, and one of those things are putting together a slide show.  We have gone through all the picture books and picked them out, but I remembered that there are some that I had on an external hard drive from back in 2006 when we took a family trip to Vegas and The Grand Canyon.  I went to plug it in, and my heart sank.  It wouldn't work.  Nothing would get it to turn on.  I was frantically wiggling cords and blowing out connections all in a tizzy, but nothing....UGH...there are memories on there from 2003 until right after Blake was born....all gone.

I decided that I would take it to best buy to see what they could do.  I talked to the guy at the Geek Squad and he told me that he would need a 250.00 deposit and that they would send it out and that if they could recover anything then it would be an additional 250.00 on top of that and it would take anything from 1-2 months.  I was floored!  I asked him if there was a way that he could just check and see if there is anything wrong with the hard drive... if he could plug it in to a different one somehow, and he said "No, we send everything out.  That's just the risk you run"  I asked him for my hard drive back and just left.  I was devastated!  $500.00 to recover something that I didn't even know if it was actually broken??

I was leaving Best Buy completely disappointed and upset when I saw this computer repair shop just a block down.  I thought...what the heck, and I went in. It was a little retail space full of shelves of miscellaneous computer parts that I had NO idea what any of them were.  Luke and I walked in and I told the girl at the counter what I was trying to accomplish...they were so nice to me.  They checked the heard drive and found out that it was just the connection on the case that was messed up, and they put my hard drive in a new case, and just like that, it was fixed.  I was in shock.  something that I thought was impossible just appeared right before my eyes.  My eyes welled up in tears and I hugged the guy...I feel bad because I didnt even ask him his name.  All I had to do was buy the new case for a whopping 27.56, and he even switched it out for me.  He was my Superhero... and gave me back some memories I didnt even know that I was missing.

As for Best Buy and their Geek Squad.... what a bunch of CRAP!!  They are nothing but a middle man that ships out their problems to have a different company to fix them.  They are ignorant and rude, but most of all... they tried to get me to pay for services that weren't needed and they provided absolutely no customer service other than to tell me that they need to ship it out.  Thank you for nothing Best Buy, and maybe this was a lesson for me.  This little mom and pop store that I went to on South Hill, Computer Connections, took better care of me then any big corporation would have... maybe its time that I do a little more business with them instead of the big cash-cows!

Some of my recovered memories..

I don't even remember taking this picture but it was sometime in 2006


Our New Years engagement!!  LOVE this picture!!
Falling off the Grand Canyon!

With Grandpa and Grandma Howard at the Grand Canyon
Toby Keith Concert!

Lucy-Loo

Rattle Snake Ridge

Holding my baby for the first time... 2 days after he was born.

Otto checking Blake out when we brought him home... another FAVORITE picture!

All smiles... even after all that he went through

Taking a bath in a bucket at the ocean

Otto always pressed his face on the window... we would laugh so hard that we cried!

Leavenworth


No comments:

Post a Comment