Monday, March 10, 2014

A Man Of Honor

Saying goodbye to someone is always hard... yesterday, I said goodbye to my Grandpa Howard.  He had 77 good years of life and will be truly missed.  As we sat in the room and listened to everyone talk about my grandpa, I was amazed at how many people spoke about his honor and integrity.  Many people spoke about how much he had taught them over the years, and how he was always so willing to help them.  My grandpa was a simple man... a very good man, but simple in the way that he lived his life.  I always knew that he held his family and friends in the utmost value, but there were so many people that his life touched that I had no idea just how far his goodwill traveled.

I have too learned a lot from him.  He has taught me about clam digging and fishing.  He taught me how to shingle a house and how to wear a survival suit in the water.  I learned that ice cream is better when you put cookies, jam, peanut butter and chocolate syrup on it, and that peanut butter and Jelly sandwiches are good to eat any time of the day.

Something else that I learned yesterday was that I missed out.  I should have made it a priority to learn more...to do more with him.  I just realized that I no longer have any grandpas... grandpas are the strong men in a family...the head of the family.  The people that teach you and that you learn skills and devotion from.  I have some strong women in my family, there is no doubt about that... but there is something comforting about the love of a grandpa...especially to a granddaughter.  Luckily, Kyle still has a grandpa, and he has taught me and my family many things already, but poor Grandpa Ray is going to be a little sick of me soon.  He isn't going to know what hit him!  I see the value and importance of sharing and learning traditions.  Building...cooking...growing...providing... things that I believe my generation doesn't find appealing.   If we don't learn them... they will be gone.  Although, no one will ever be able to make a pie as good as Grandpa Ray... I am determined to get pretty darn close!!

 



Fisherman's Prayer 

God grant that I may live to fish 

For another shining day, 

But when my final cast is made 

I then most humbly pray, 

When nestled in your landing net 

As I lay peacefully asleep, 

You'll smile at me and judge 

That I'm "good enough to keep." 





No comments:

Post a Comment