Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Least That We Could Do

Whats going on with the Oso mud slide is just devastating.  I find that I have to turn the channel now because I just cant watch it anymore.  I saw when they pulled that 4 year old boy out of the mud in his underwear and shirt, and all I could do was picture that being Blake.  How scared that little boy must be and how devastating to also lose your dad and 3 siblings.  Brings me to tears every time I think about it.  I cant imagine losing Blake or Luke, but this horrible thing helped remind me about how precious our time with our family is.

We wanted to help, and I donated what we could, which wasn't much, but I felt like I needed it to be a personal connection.  If I didn't have kids, I would be down there, digging, feeding people, doing whatever I could to help, but since that's not feasible, and I think they are turning away volunteers at this point, we thought we would send a little love.  I saw on the news that there are victims in serious and critical condition at Harbor View, and that you could send them cards and flowers.  I thought it would be a good way for the kiddos to help out and also send some happy thoughts to those who are recovering.

We made some cards this morning, and hopefully we can do more :)  I talked to Blake about it in a way that would be appropriate for him, and he already knew something was going on since thats all he has been seeing on the news.  He asked if the people that went to Heaven were with Aunt Dawn and Grandpa Howard...and Lucy...and Otto (too many deaths lately) and I told him that I am sure that they are all friends up there now, and that they are all smiling together.  He was sad...Blake has a huge heart with so much empathy.  Hopefully these will make some people smile...




decided to keep it short and sweet... maybe when they start interviewing people that survived then I will make it a bit more personal.

I cant think of anything that makes me smile more then a homemade card from a child 

Harborview Medical Center
OSO Landslide Patient
 325 Ninth Avenue
Seattle, Washington 98104

No comments:

Post a Comment