Sunday, November 29, 2015

Blake

I will always remember this year as the year that Blake really came into his own.  This year, his 6th year, is the year that I have really started to understand all the little parts and pieces that truly make him stand out.  He has a certain way that he likes to brush his teeth (top first from left to right, then bottom for right to left) and if you try to tell him otherwise, you better be ready for a really long debate, and by the end, you will lose.  I can now trust him to get himself ready in the morning.  He can tastefully pick out his clothing, brush his teeth and wash his face and get his shoes on for school without me really having to worry about it.  I just have to tell him when to start getting ready, and he will check his backpack before we leave to make sure that he has his folder, lunchbox and water bottle all ready to go. 

He is so adventurious with his food now, and it makes my life so much easier when I know that he will pretty much eat anything.  He loves all seafood and especially crab!  He will eat all veggies and most fruits, but he still prefers me to peel his apples :) 

 
Blake loves his sports... he will play hockey out in the garage for hours after school and on weekends, and if its not nasty out, he will kick the soccer ball around the back yard.  He always wants Luke to play with him, but Blake is pretty aggressive, and when Luke has enough of Blake stealing the ball and taking the puck, Luke looses interest pretty quickly.  We have explained over and over again that if he wants his little brother to play with him, then he needs to take it easy on him, but something inside him can only hold back for so long, and then it all goes down the drain.  Playing hockey means that he has a lot of gear, but he knows all the parts and pieces that go into his bag.  I don't think that I could remember to pack all that, and also have the skills that he does.  He definitely gets that from his daddy :)

His independence has really come through.  I am excited that he now has an opinion about things, and he knows what he likes.  He can be a Mr. know it all, and loves to tell me that I am driving the wrong way or that I forgot something, and he really likes to worry... too much sometimes.  He is thoughtful, helpful, loving, affectionate and sweet, and sure likes a good debate. Although the boy turns into a monster on the sports field, we are teaching him how to have good sportsmanship and also to be encouraging to other players.  As parents, we all wonder if we are doing it right... I wonder all the time if I am screwing him up :)  I know that we are hard on him, and we do expect a lot of him, but he is sure a fine young boy, and we are proud of him!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment