Saturday, December 20, 2014

I Should Have Been A Farmer!!

In a previous life, I think I was a farmer... I love having my chickens and more baby chicks are in the near future!  I want Turkeys next and someday, when we have more land, I was goats and cows!!  I love it!!  I have really enjoyed growing my garden and harvesting for the winter, and the kids really enjoy it too, which is always a plus :). Every year I am learning and improving this little hobby farm we have going.  I LOVE having my chickens!!!  They are the ugliest, most prehistoric looking things, but they have a face that only a mama could love :)  There are two of them... I call them "the twins"... well, there about to go chop-chop in the pot!!  Little brats got nasty, and they weren't ever super social, but man, they have started to irritate me... those little beaks are sharp!!  The kids still chase them all over and carry them around, and most of them are as sweet as can be. 

Next project; I am figuring out how to grow mealworms for the chickies... they love them, and I just found out that you can "raise" worms in a Rubbermaid container and they multiply like crazy... it might sound weird and yucky, but I have boys, remember, and bugs, worms and buggers don't phase me!!  We might turn it into a science project? :)

I would LOVE 10-20 acres to turn into a little homestead... grow my own food, raise our animals, make my own soap, collect rainwater, pee in an outhouse... you know, all that hippy homestead stuff!!  I bet I could do it, and really enjoy it.  Ahhh... maybe someday, but for now, chickens it is!!!





Spoiled little ladies... they were coming after me because I had warm oatmeal for them... they know what the pot looks like :)

1 comment:

  1. All of that sounds wonderful! Except I think I'd opt for indoor plumbing and a septic tank ;) Someday hopefully I can try chickens, too!

    ReplyDelete