Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Happy Birthday Grandpa Jump

My Grandpa Jump...Oh what a spunky man he was.  He had this hat that said "Older then Dirt" that he would wear often, and he was the type that would tell stories and start it with "Back in my day, we walked 2 miles up hill to school every day... bare foot... in the snow...with a broken leg"  That is just how he appeared to be... he seemed like this grumpy old man who always thought that the glass was half empty... that's is how he appeared until you got to know him.

Grandpa Jump was a humble man who would give anything for his family and loved them dearly.  He stood about 5"5 but sure was a firecracker!  He had tattoos of "sexy ladies" up his arms that he got in the war... you didn't see them much because he always had on long sleeves to cover them up, but he did say that Grandma was PISSED when she saw them. HAHA.  My grandpa talked about his brothers and sisters a lot.  Aunt Thelma and Aunt Ginger always called to check on him, and I know that he appreciated that, even though he would say to them "I am fine, don't worry about me, stop calling"  Then he would always end the call with "I love you sis" 


I spent a lot of time with my Grandpa after he got sick.  I needed to for me, and I think that he really appreciated me there.  We would watch old war movies and documentaries, and eat Pecan pie, and drink Kool Aid Lemonade.  He loved that stuff.   He was the sickest right after Blake was born, but he drove himself to the hospital, and stayed with me when Blake was in Surgery.  Then he got really sick, but I always brought Blake over to see him, and he called him his "Little Wee One"  Blake would sit with him and then I remember when I brought him over and said " Grandpa, I have something to show you"  I put Blake down on the floor and he crawled over to his Great Grandpa... It took everything he had to pick Blake up, but he did, and then he said " I'll be damned, you are a fast little shit aren't you"  HAHA 




So today, I celebrate his Birthday... maybe I will get some Pecan pie and watch Platoon, but either way, I know he looks after me, and I know that he smiles on my boys.  We Love you and miss you every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment