Sunday, January 12, 2014

Fire Starters

My dad made these little fire starters and they are simply amazing!  No paper is required for starting the fire and he made them from left over stuff that he found in his garage...

**Side note**  When I was growing up, my dad started fires with road flairs and propane torches... my, how times have changed :)

He took these old cedar shavings that he had from an old project and put them in the bottom of a plastic solo cup, then he melted down some old candles that they had, and he poured the wax in the plastic cup, and then added some more cedar shavings on top (you can also use sawdust).  Let it cool, and then poped it out of the cup, and VOILA... a fire starter is born!





I took it home and put it to the test.  A little skeptical, I positioned it underneath the kindling in our wood-stove.




I used a normal lighter, and a fire was lit!  I didn't fuss with paper, or reaching to light the paper in the back and then you get that black soot all over your arms. It was perfect!   Also, there wasn't any evidence of wax left over in the fireplace, so it must completely burn out.







Great idea!  Thanks Dad!!  I am going to put some in the trailer for camping :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment