Saturday, January 4, 2014

Strong Men

I have been thinking a lot about the men in our lives.  Not the young men, but the older men, and how their masterful skills that have built them and our families, have been the very thing that has started to break them.

Both Kyle and I come from a long line of strong men with a detailed skill.  Men that have more tools then dress shirts and shiny shoes.  Men that are meticulous about their work, and somehow, it has become part of them.  Men that put their heart and soul into what they can make in order to provide for their wives and children, and men that have gone without.

We come from a strong foundation of men that believe in doing something right the first time, and that everything that they make or use is a reflection of themselves.  My eyes have just opened up wide enough to realize that all those years that they spent working...building...providing, is the very thing that is now breaking them.  Their knees shake from countless trips up and down a ladder, their fingers calloused from years of using their tool, and their backs are bruised.  The woman that has stayed home to tend to her children is now home tending to her husband.  Holding him together so that he can once again be strong enough to do the same things that have broken him in the first place.  Not because he wants to be broken, but because it is who he is.

I am proud of where we come from.  Proud that our Fathers, Grandfathers, and many before were built so strong, and so powerful.  They are men that not only built things with their hands, but they built their families with their devotion.. stronger then any metal or wood.  

These men have exemplified courage and strength throughout the years and I may not have really appreciated it until now.  They have made my husband strong, and they have humbled my heart.  I now see that someday I will be holding my husband together, just as their wives have done, and I will do it with appreciation and without indignation.  Knowing that what has broken him, is the very thing that has held us together for so many years.


We are so thankful for all of you...








No comments:

Post a Comment