Thursday, April 26, 2012

As your Mother... Letter to my unborn Son

To my dearest Luke,

We are all so excited to meet you, and we can’t wait for you to make your grand entrance into this world.  As your mother, I have been carrying you for almost 9 months now, and I already feel like I know so much about you, and I can’t wait to see your face, and be able to hold you in my arms.  I can’t wait to teach you the ways of the world, and to show you how to dream.  I want you to be creative, and smart, and to always lead the way, and not follow behind.  As your mother, I will want to shelter you from the cruel ways of the world, and it will be your father that will show you how to be strong and how to become a protector.  As your mother, I will always support your dreams, and do everything in my power to help you reach them.  I will be the voice of reason, and the mark of encouragement.  As your mother, I will not always be your friend, I wouldn’t be doing my job as a parent if I was.  There will be times that you can’t stand me, and that you wish you were an adult so that you can make your own decisions.  As your mother, I will help you to understand that your time will come to be grown up, and I will do everything that I can to help you hold on to your youth for as long as possible.  There is something so peaceful about the innocence of a child, and you will understand that some day when you two are a parent.  As your mother, I will always love you unconditionally, no matter what circumstance we are in, and I will make sure that you always know that.  You and your brother are my greatest achievements and, as your mother, it will always be my pleasure as a parent to  guide you through life with the best advice, care, and intentions as I know.  As your mother, I know that I will make mistakes, as will you, but it is the lesson that we learn from those mistakes and the forgiveness that we show that will help us to all lead a fulfilling life.  As your mother, I want you to know that I already love you more then I can express in this letter, and that when you arrive there is going to be a large, loving family welcoming you with more love then you can ever imagine.  You are such a lucky child, and already cherished by so many.  I pray that you are always happy, healthy, strong, and kind, and I want you to know that, as your mother, I will be here for you, always.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. Well Jesica thanks for making me get all teary this morning! :) What a beautiful letter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Jes. I wish I would have thought to write a letter to my children (at any point in their lives) to be read later. I guess I was too busy with the minutia of daily life to think about how quickly those days would fly by and be nothing more than a collection of memories. Perhaps it's not too late after all, at least as far as Kamden is concerned. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete