Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Night Terrors??

I believe that Blake is either having nightmares or night terrors.  He has been getting up several times at night (usually 3-4) and sometimes he wakes up screaming, and  one of us will run in his room like a bat out of hell to see what’s wrong, and other times he makes it into my room very quietly and into our bed… I ask him why he is up and he says that he is scared and wants to sleep with us.  Depending on what time it is, I will take him back to his own room, but if it’s close to when my alarm goes off (4:45) I don’t worry about it because, honestly, I don’t have the energy, and I just want to sleep more.  He has always had a very routine bed time… Bath or shower at 7:00, Story around 7:20 and then off to bed.  Now, he is asking me to lay with him because he is too scared to be by himself.  When I ask what he is scared of, he says “the scary man” but I can’t get any more than that.  Who is this scary man?

Don't worry, we don't normally do this... Blake just wanted to read to me and Lucy this time :)
I have been reading up on this, and it can be either night terrors, or nightmares because they are starting to dream, but either way, I feel so bad for our little man.  I don’t ever want him to be scared at home;  I want him to always feel safe.  Some websites suggest that he is not tired enough for bed, others suggest that he might just be a light sleeper, and some say that a change in routine can cause this.  One thing is for sure… he is helping me get ready for these sleepless nights that I am about to have with our next little bundle of joy.  But we leave very early in the morning for Grandma’s house, and he is very tired because he was awake several times the night before, and fights me to get up.  which starts the day off with a cranky boy, and an exhausted Mama.  Any suggestions would be helpful, we just need a full night of sleep (minus the 5 times a night I get up to pee!)

4 comments:

  1. A little girl I used to babysit had night terrors. Her's were so bad the parents just told me to let her cry, because what was happening was she was crying/screaming, in her sleep even with her eyes open, and when we went in there to try and comfort her it would make it worse because she would actually wake up, and freak out even more because of what was going on. I do know from that experience that night terrors usually happen when the child reaches their deepest sleep, I think its called REM. But anyway, have you tried a night light? Or Silas has one of these,
    http://www.target.com/p/Summer-Infant-Slumber-Buddies-Crib-Soother-and-Nightlight-Frog/-/A-13002036
    He has the turtle, and Target sells all sorts of different kinds, but he will even turn it on in the night if he wakes up. Maybe Blake would like that?
    Ooorr..he just might want to be with Mommy and Daddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how rough :(

    One idea would be to have Kyle sleep in his room for a week or something? Mike did that with Louisa and she really liked it. I suppose you run the risk of him wanting it all the time, but at the same time it might just give him some reassurance he needs.

    I do remember when Lou started talking about being scared of the dark. It was weird, because it seemed like it came from no where! She hadn't seen any movies or t.v. shows that would make her think of monsters so it was kind of a strange phenomenon. Maybe it's a natural fear that grows even when kids aren't exposed to anything scary, per se.

    Also if the online resources you read suggested he wasn't tired enough, maybe just push bed time back an hour. I know, rough for mama and daddy! But we also had to do this with Louisa around 2 1/2 because she just wasn't ready for bed at 7:30 anymore :( Though it is hard since you guys have to get up early. Does he still take a morning nap?

    So yes, those are my two suggestions. Have daddy take over the night shift for a bit since you really really need your sleep (working 34 weeks pregnant mama!) and maybe try switching up when you put him down. Also give extra snuggles at night and talk to him about being safe and cozy. I know it helped also with Louisa when we would say "daddy checked and there is nothing to be scared of! It's all gone!!" - or something along those lines :)

    Good luck! Let us know if things get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for your suggestions! I have never been through anything like this before so I am a little lost. Blake does have a night light that is always on at night, and we noticed that it doesn’t really happen on the weekends… We do a lot more physical stuff on the weekends, so it might make him more tired? He still takes 1 nap a day – usually 10-12 but that’s it. It’s really hard for me to regulate when he takes his naps/ the activities that he does during the day because I have 2 different grandmas watching him. He has been telling me every morning when I get him up that he wants to stay at home and he doesn’t want to go to grandma’s house… I think that our hectic schedule is really taking a toll on him, and it makes me even more thankful that I am about to stay at home, and we have talked about starting the stay at home process early because it seems to be really hard on him right now.

    Kyle has slept with him on a few occasions, but not for a whole week… that sounds like a good thing to try, and then when he wakes up and sees him, he will feel safe, and maybe start to just not wake up anymore… We thought about having a “sleepover” in Blake’s room this weekend and make it really fun. I mentioned the Easter bunny the other day when there was a commercial on TV about seeing the ones in the mall, and he told me that it looked scary, so we are going to focus more on Jesus for Easter then talking about the Easter Bunny. I don’t know where this fear is coming from, but I think that it might have something to do with our crazy schedule, and also the fact that Kyle has been working late these past few weeks, and doesn’t get to see him much before he goes to bed. I wouldn’t mind him staying up later, but then I am afraid he won’t get enough sleep, but I guess he really isn’t right now anyways!

    All I know is that I am completely exhausted. He slept all night on Tuesday night, but then got up last night 2 times, and I just ended up sleeping with him in his room. Kyle gets up a lot with him too, but he cries for me, and it just breaks my heart. Hopefully this will get better soon. I just want him to feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, well sounds like maybe you should start staying home a little earlier than you planned. And maybe he is just as tired as you? And is showing it by not getting full rest? I dont know..just a thought. :) Anyway, I hope you guys can figure it out.. :/ I can only imagine how tired you are, I cant imagine working and doing all your Mama duties, because I know when I was preggo I was exhausted, you must be twice as exhausted. :)
    Hope you get to have a nice relaxing weekend, with lots of naps! :D

    Have a great Easter by the way!!

    ReplyDelete